ECC Commissioner’s Cup Awarded to Dowling College for Second Straight Year
Central Islip, N.Y. – The Dowling College
Golden Lions have been named the winners of the 2011-2012 East
Coast Conference (ECC) Commissioner's Cup. This marks the second
consecutive year and third time in four years that Dowling’s
student-athletes have earned this distinction. Under the direction
of Director of Athletics Rick Cole, Jr., the Golden Lions amassed
93.5 total points, to reclaim the Cup for the fifth time since it
was established in 1994.
The Golden Lions compiled an overall program record of 178-98-6 in ECC sponsored sports and competed in ten of eleven ECC Championships with tournament titles in women’s soccer, volleyball, women’s basketball, and baseball. Dowling also picked up regular season championships in volleyball, women’s basketball, and women’s lacrosse.
C.W. Post compiled 82.75 total points to earn a second place finish. The Pioneers claimed tournament championships men’s cross country, women’s cross country, and men’s basketball while also taking home a regular season title in men’s soccer.
New York Institute of Technology rounds out the top three with 64.25 points. The Bears lone championship on the year came in the ECC Men’s Soccer tournament.
2011 - 2012 ECC Commissioner’s Cup Final Standings
|St. Thomas Aquinas||52|
|District of Columbia||40|
The ECC Commissioner’s Cup
The East Coast Conference Commissioner's Cup is emblematic of the league's top program across its 13 championship sports. A new scoring system was established in 2006-07 to further reward programs that succeed in both regular-season and post-season play. The scoring system works as follows:
• Points for the number of schools whose teams compete for the post-season Championship are split between the team that finishes in that place during the year and the team that finishes in that place in the Championship.
• If a team is eliminated in the semi-finals or quarterfinals, its place among the others eliminated in that round is determined by its finish during the regular season.
• A school which does not sponsor a sport receives 0 points for that sport.
• Highest point total for each sport is the number of schools in the conference (9), regardless of how many schools sponsor that sport.
• In sports in which no Championship is held, regular season finish is utilized.
Past Commissioner’s Cup Champions
1994-95 College of St. Rose
1995-96 College of St. Rose
1996-97 Adelphi University
1997-98 Dowling College
1998-99 Adelphi University
1999-00 Dowling College
2000-01 Adelphi University
2001-02 Adelphi University
2002-03 Adelphi University
2003-04 University of New Haven
2004-05 Adelphi University
2005-06 C.W. Post/LIU
2006-07 C.W. Post/LIU
2007-08 Adelphi University
2008-09 Dowling College
2009-10 C.W. Post/LIU
2010-11 Dowling College
2011-12 Dowling College