C.W. Post Claims 2009-10 Commissioners Cup
Central Islip, N.Y. – The C.W. Post Pioneers have been named the winners of the 2009-10 East Coast Conference (ECC) Commissioner's Cup. Under the direction of Director of Athletics Bryan Collins, the Pioneers amassed 81.75 total points, to reclaim the Cup for the first time since the 2006-07 academic year. This marks the third time C.W. Post has won the award since the Cup was established in 1994.
C.W. Post shared ECC regular season titles in men’s soccer, men’s basketball and men’s lacrosse this year while holding solo possession of the top spot in baseball, softball and women’s lacrosse. The Pioneers competed in ten ECC Championships and went on to claim the Tournament titles in men’s soccer, men’s cross country and baseball.
Dowling, the defending Cup winners, compiled 75 total points to earn a second place finish. The Golden Lions claimed the regular season crown in volleyball and shared regular season titles in men’s soccer and men’s lacrosse. Dowling contended in nine ECC Post-season tournaments, advancing to the finals in six sports and capturing the Title in Softball.
Molloy rounds out the top three with 62.5 points. The Lions made three ECC Tournament Finals appearances and captured the Championship title in women’s basketball.
2009 - 2010 ECC Commissioner’s Cup Final
|St. Thomas Aquinas||29|
The ECC Commissioner’s Cup
The East Coast Conference Commissioner's Cup is emblematic of the league's top program across its 13 championship sports. A new scoring system was established in 2006-07 to further reward programs that succeed in both regular-season and post-season play. The scoring system works as follows:
• Points for the number of schools whose teams compete for the postâseason Championship are split between the team that finishes in that place during the year and the team that finishes in that place in the Championship.
• If a team is eliminated in the semiâfinals or quarterfinals, its place among the others eliminated in that round is determined by its finish during the regular season.
• A school which does not sponsor a sport receives 0 points for that sport.
• Highest point total for each sport is the number of schools in the conference (8), regardless of how many schools sponsor that sport.
• In sports in which no Championship is held, regular season finish is utilized.
Past Commissioner’s Cup Champions
1994-95 College of St. Rose
1995-96 College of St. Rose
1996-97 Adelphi University
1997-98 Dowling College
1998-99 Adelphi University
1999-00 Dowling College
2000-01 Adelphi University
2001-02 Adelphi University
2002-03 Adelphi University
2003-04 University of New Haven
2004-05 Adelphi University
2005-06 C.W. Post/LIU
2006-07 C.W. Post/LIU
2007-08 Adelphi University
2008-09 Dowling College
2009-10 C.W. Post/LIU