Bridgeport, Conn. - The men's basketball team erased a 17-point lead to defeat the University of Bridgeport in overtime, 90-86, to win the program's first-ever East Coast Conference Championship as well as the program's first trip to the NCAA Tournament. Junior Nick Corbett was selected as the Most Outstanding Player of the Tournament, while seniors Curtis Jenkins and Mike Torre were named to the All-Tournament team.
How it Happened
- The fourth-seeded Purple Knights opened the contest on a 14-0 run.
- Bridgeport maintained its double-digit advantage until Torre netted two free throws midway through the half to set the score at 27-18.
- The Lions would cut the deficit to as little as six points, 36-30, with 2:25 left in the half before UB ultimately carried a 47-34 advantage into the locker room.
- Bridgeport took its largest lead of the contest, 61-44, with 12 minutes left to play.
- Molloy began to mount its comeback, going on a 14-3 run to set the score at 64-58 with seven minutes left on the clock.
- Trailing by eight, 73-65, with 4:23 remaining, the Lions put together an 8-0 run to knot the score at 73 with just over three minutes to go in regulation.
- Field goals from Torre knotted the score three times in the final minutes, including hitting a layup with one second remaining to force the overtime period.
- UB led off overtime with a three-pointer, but four points from Jenkins quickly put the Lions back in front, 83-82.
- The teams exchanged one-point leads until Corbett hit a foul shot with 12 seconds to play to give Molloy an 88-86 lead.
- Senior Chris O'Reilly solidified the victory with a pair of free throws with three seconds on the clock.
- Jenkins topped the scoresheet in both scoring and rebounding, scoring his fifth double-double of the season with 28 points and 16 rebounds. The senior shot 10-of-20 from the field and added three assists and one steal.
- Corbett netted 25 points in the victory, adding four assists, five rebounds, and one steal.
- Torre and freshman Billy Muller each added 10 points while pulling down seven boards. Muller also recorded two blocks while Torre added one steal.
The Lions earned the program's first-ever bid to the NCAA Tournament with their automatic qualifier. The East Regional Championship Tournament will take place next weekend at Saint Anselm College in Manchester, New Hampshire. Molloy awaits its opponent, announced later this evening during the NCAA Selection Show.
Provided by the Molloy Sports Information Department.