Rockville Centre, N.Y. – The fourth-seeded Molloy women's lacrosse team defeated the fifth-seeded Roberts Wesleyan Redhawks, 18-3, in the opening round of the ECC Championship Tuesday afternoon at John A. Darcy Field. The Lions improved to 12-6 in the win.
Sophomore goalie Allie Long earned the ECC Elite 19 Award, which is given to the student-athlete with the highest GPA in a championship.
- The Lions jumped out to an early 4-0 advantage, on goals from redshirt senior Ali Pfeifer, freshman Kara Rosenberg, senior Brianna Wilson, and senior Casie Caiazza.
- With the score 4-1, Molloy ended the half on an 8-0 run, led by two goals from Pfeifer and junior Amanda Reyes, and one goal apiece from Rosenberg, senior Michaela Siegler, sophomore Kaitlyn Meyer, and freshman Abbie Bellport, and led 12-1 at the break.
- Roberts Wesleyan tallied the first two goals of the second half to make it a 12-3 contest.
- Caiazza netted three goals, and Siegler, Rosenberg, and Wilson each found the back of the net once in the second half en route to an 18-3 victory.
- Caiazza tallied a career-high nine points (four goals and five assists).
- Pfeifer recorded five points (three goals and two assists).
- Rosenberg registered four points (three goals and one assist), and Siegler logged three points (two goals and one assist).
- Wilson netted her 200th career goal.
- Meyer caused one turnover and picked up four ground balls, and senior Emily Bauer caused three turnovers and picked up two ground balls.
- Long made seven saves in the win.
- The maroon and white travel to play the top-seeded Mercy Mavericks Thursday, May 2 in the ECC Semifinals. The game is scheduled to begin at 3:00 p.m.
Provided by the Molloy Sports Information Department.