Old Westbury, N.Y. - The No. 4 Molloy women's soccer team defeated the No. 3 New York Tech Bears, 2-0, to win its first East Coast Conference title Sunday afternoon at President's Stadium. The Lions improved to 14-4-2 with the win. The 14 wins ties the program record, which was set in 2006. Junior Jackie Carty was named the ECC Tournament MVP.
How it Happened
- In the 29th minute, sophomore Lexi Verni led junior Dana Poetzsch, who scored on a break to put Molloy ahead 1-0.
- Carty, who made four saves in the first frame, denied shots from Dominique Bono and Carla Le Flohic Sabe in the 31st and 41st minutes, respectively.
- The Lions led 1-0 at the half.
- Poetzsch touched in a lead pass from sophomore Sabrina Bell in the 83rd minute to increase the maroon and white's advantage to 2-0.
- The Lions shut down the Bears' attack en route to a 2-0 victory.
- Carty made six saves to record her 10th shutout of 2019. The East Islip, N.Y. native made 15 saves and two in penalty kicks in two ECC Championship contests.
- Poetzsch netted her 24th goal and 51st point of the season.
- Verni and Bell, who have recorded helpers in back-to-back matches, tallied their fifth assists of the year, which is tied for the team lead.
- "I am very proud of the girls. Everyone worked their socks off," head coach Steve Price said. "This is the combination of what we did in preseason and what they did to prepare for this year. It was very nice to see Jackie Carty named Tournament MVP."
- The Lions will compete in the NCAA East Regional. The team will find out its opponent on the Selection Show Monday, November 18 at 6:30 p.m. on NCAA.com.
Provided by the Molloy Sports Information Department.