Amherst, N.Y. – For the second time in as many years, the Molloy College volleyball team will appear in the East Coast Conference Championship game, earning a five-set victory over the Pioneers of LIU Post this evening in the semifinal matchup in Lumsden Gymnasium.
Molloy 25, LIU Post 18
Molloy 25, LIU Post 22
LIU Post 25, Molloy 18
LIU Post 25, Molloy 21
Molloy 15, LIU Post 10
- The Pioneers took an early lead in the first set, but a kill and a service ace from senior Jeanne Reinis paired with a kill from sophomore Kacey Affrunti put the Lions in front, 12-9.
- Molloy extended its lead to 19-13 following a five-point run featuring kills from Reinis and junior Hailey Wehrand a service aces from freshman Nicole Wagner, before taking the opening set.
- The Lions capitalized on mistakes early in the second set to take a 5-1 lead. LIU Post made a late push to come back, stringing together seven straight points to set the score at 22-20, but Molloy held on to take the second set.
- The maroon and white attacked at a game-low .135 in the third set, setting the match score at 2-1.
- Three multi-point runs from LIU Post helped the third-seeded Pioneers take the fourth set, forcing the contest to a deciding set to determine who would advance to tomorrow's Championship game.
- The teams were tied, 9-9, in the fifth set, when a kill from redshirt junior Carly Banks helped spark Molloy to a 12-9 lead.
- The maroon and white closed the contest with three straight points for the victory.
- Banks had a game-high 21 kills, attacking at .472 on the evening. She was joined in double-digits by Affrunti, with 12 kills.
- Junior Sophia Smith led the maroon and white with 14 digs and 45 assists. Senior Meaghan Carr (13), junior Jessica Fischetti (12), Reinis (11), and Wagner (10) all tallied double-digit digs for Molloy.
- Junior Devon Hagerstrom led the squad with three blocks.
The second-seeded Lions will take on top-seed Daemen College to determine the ECC Champion tomorrow (Nov. 10) at 6:00 p.m. in Amherst, N.Y.
Provided by the Molloy Sports Information Department.