Rockville Centre, N.Y. - The top-seeded Molloy volleyball team advanced to the semifinal round of the NCAA East Regional Tournament with a 3-1 victory over the eighth-seeded Panthers of Adelphi University. Molloy improved to 26-4 with the victory. Redshirt senior Carly Banks became the program's all-time kill record, totaling 16 kills in the contest.
How it Happened
- The teams exchanged leads in the opening set before a five-point run on the serving of junior Allie Lackner gave the Lions a 15-10 advantage.
- The Panthers responded with five unanswered points to knot the score.
- A block from senior Hailey Wehr and a kill from junior Kacey Affrunti gave the home team a 19-17 advantage. The Lions would not relinquish the lead the remainder of the set.
- A five-point run in the second set once again put the maroon and white in front, 13-8.
- Adelphi would come within one, 21-20, but the Lions closed out the set, 25-21.
- The score would be tied 13 times throughout the third set, including as late as 24-24 before the Panthers took the two-point advantage at 26-24 to force a fourth set.
- Molloy led the entirety of the final set, including by as much as 10 points, 17-7, before taking the set and the match, 25-14.
- Banks led all scorers with 16 kills. She was joined in double digits by Affrunti (13), who added four blocks.
- Senior Jessica Fischetti topped the team defensively with 21 digs. Sophomore Kathleen Doherty (16), senior Sophia Smith (13) and freshman Brynne Winkelman (11) also reached double digits.
- Smith added 40 assists for a double-double while Doherty fired off a career-high four aces.
No. 1 Molloy advances to the semifinals against No. 4 Saint Anselm College. The game is slated for 7:30 p.m. from Quealy Gymnasium.
Provided by the Molloy Sports Information Department.