Rockville Centre, N.Y. - The top-seeded volleyball team defeated the third-seeded University of Bridgeport, 3-1, this evening in Quealy Gymnasium to become the 2019 NCAA Division II Women's Volleyball East Regional Champions, the first Regional Championship in the program's history. The Lions advanced to the NCAA Championship Tournament next week in Denver, Colo.
How it Happened
- After being tied at 11, Molloy put together three consecutive points to take a 14-12 lead.
- Bridgeport would come within two, 22-20, late in the set, but an ace from senior Sophia Smith and a kill from freshman Chye Davis gave Molloy the 1-0 lead.
- The Lions' offense continued into the second set, opening the frame on a 4-0 run.
- The lead would extend to as much as 20-12.
- The visitors would come within three, 23-20, before Smith ended the set with a kill.
- The Purple Knights took advantage of Molloy attacking at a -0.03 percentage in the third set, holding the maroon and white to just five kills en route to a 25-11 victory to force a fourth set.
- Bridgeport maintained a one-point lead for the first half of the set, until two errors and kills from junior Kacey Affrunti and redshirt senior Carly Banks gave the Lions a 19-16 lead.
- The Lions remained in the drivers seat for the remainder of the set, only allowing the Purple Knights to come within one, 21-20.
- Baks (13) and Affrunti (12) finished with double digit kills.
- Senior Jessica Fischetti recorded 31 digs while sophomore Kathleen Doherty added 21. Freshman Brynne Winkelman (16) and Smith (15) also finished with double digit digs.
- Smith added 36 assists for a double-double to go with six blocks, five kills, and one assist.
- Davis led the team with seven blocks while Affrunti put up six.
The Lions will found out their seeding and opponent for the National Championship Tournament tomorrow afternoon.
Provided by the Molloy Sports Information Department.